A power outage that was declared a major disaster in Ontario on Friday night and which has forced tens of thousands of people to shut off their water, electricity and gas services is over, with some residents being told to start re-shipping supplies.
The province’s Emergency Management Agency said a transformer explosion on a residential street near the town of St. Clair-St. Thomas in the north of the province was caused by an “unknown electrical fault” at a substation, which caused it to blow.
It said it was unable to determine how much damage had been done.
The outage was the worst for electricity in Ontario since January when it was declared as a major emergency in response to a transformer incident at a power plant in the Niagara region.
The blast was caused when a transformer at a new, state-owned plant exploded, killing one person and seriously injuring seven others, including two firefighters.
The incident was the first of a series of similar power outages across the province in recent weeks.
A spokesman for the province’s Energy Ministry said the province has started re-routing customers’ power supply.
But a spokesman for Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he was still waiting for power to be restored to most people, although he had ordered a partial shutdown of schools and libraries in the area.